Minister Guarantees Continuous Funding Of Second Niger Bridge Construction
The Minister of State for Power, Works and Housing, Hon. Mustapha Baba Shehuri has guaranteed Nigerians of Federal Government’s determination to continue funding on-going construction works on the 2nd Niger Bridge linking Asaba, Delta State with Onitsha, Anambra State. He gave the assurance while on an inspection visit to the site.
2. Hon. Shehuri reiterated that since the present Administration came on board, its priority has, essentially, been on infrastructural development. He added that this has placed a huge obligation on the construction of an additional bridge to compliment the existing one built in 1965 as a crucial link between the Eastern and Western regions of the country.
3. Hon. Shehuri said the Federal Government will stop at nothing to ensure that funds are released, as at when due, to the contractor in order to accomplish the project for ease of vehicular traffic and socio - economic enhancement.
4. The Minister revealed that since the commencement of the Main Works for the construction of this national infrastructure in 2017, after the completion of Early Works, Phases I - IV, there has been no delay in payments. This is evident in the appreciable progress achieved so far.
5. On the issue of compensation, the Minister appealed to the affected communities to co-operate with the Federal Government as the project, when eventually completed, would be of benefit to them, in particular, and Nigerians, as a whole.
6. Speaking earlier, the Federal Controller of Works, Anambra State, Engr. Ajani Adeyemo established the fact that the Ministry has already paid compensations to the tune of N3.5Billion for claims on the project corridor. He also disclosed that compensation was paid from Km 23 - 34.9 of the project, though there were still pockets of claims coming in from time to time. These outstanding claims have already been forwarded to the Ministry for consideration and settlement, he added.
7. Engr. Adeyemo, while allaying the fears of Nigerians on the scheduled delivery of the project, further explained that the 2nd Niger Bridge, alongside two other Federal Government projects, are specially funded from the National Sovereign Investments Fund (NSIF) and as such will not experience paucity of funding. The Federal Controller, gladly, informed the Minister that, while the completion period for the contract is 42 months, it is presently at 17% within 4 months.
8. The Project Director, Julius Berger (Nigeria) Limited, Mr Frederick Weiser stated that his Company has received payment on work done thus far and the communities have been co-operating as well. The major threat to the project, according to him, is the River Niger itself. He believes the river was going to rise between 10m to 12m as the rainy season was fast approaching. This, he said, calls for intensive work, 24 hours of the day, seven days a week to ensure it progresses before the River level rises.
CONSTRUCTION OF TUDUN WUSS BARAZA DURR ZUMBUL POLCHI DOT KWANAR ROAD IN BAUCHI STATE
Construction of Tudun Wuss Baraza Durr Zumbul Polchi Dot Kwanar Road in Bauchi State
ONE DAY INTENSIVE TRAINING PROGRAMME AS PART OF ITS LECTURE SERIES UNDER THE MINISTRYS STAFF DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME
The Federal Ministry of Power Works and Housing Works and Housing Sector organized a one day intensive Training Programme as part of its lecture series under the Ministrys Staff development programme The Programme which held on Tuesday 26th July 2019 at the Conference Room of the Ministrys Headquarters had two Oapers delivered by Directors from the National Productivity Centre 3 The Participants were carried through the General Overview of the Concept of Productivity and Time Management as they relate to efficiency and service delivery in the Public Service 4 The programme is in line with the ongoing Civil Service transformation through the instrumentality of Efficient Productive Incorruptible and Citizen Centre EPIC programme The Deputy Director Staff Welfare and Training Mrs Aderonke Jaiyesimi who coordinated the Programme expressed satisfaction She commended the Head of Civil Service of the Federation for the initiative and the Management of the Ministry for its tremendous support for Staff development She also thanked the Resource Persons from the National Productivity Centre